Sunday, November 4, 2007

Roller Derby Names



The Gotham Girls make a strong point that roller derby is not all about the fancy outfits and the names and I respect that deeply, but of course I have to think a little about names (outfits come later).

I've noticed that some teams have themes--like the Long Island Roller Rebels and the theme of alcohol (Captain Morgan, Amaretto Sourpuss, Butterscotch Cripple, Bacardi Simone, etc). But the Gotham Girls don't seem to have this trend.

I've also noticed that some names are about speed--for jammers (Snot Rocket, Suzy Hotrod) and others are about fear--for blockers (Surly Temple, Beonslay).

My legal name is Helen which is built for names like Hellen Wheelz, but I figure that one must be taken. So far, after a little consideration, my fast name might be Bat out of Nell or Torando Alli (to reference my Nebraska connection). My scary name could be Death KNell. Today my friend Nathaniel suggested I go with something sarcastic like Nelightful.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Here's an idea if you wanted to go for a pop-culture angle:

Mauly Ringwald (number: 16 candles)

vintage.tt said...

I thought Hell's Nell would be cool, but Mauly Ringwald is pretty damn good.